Good day my Rotary leaders, fellow Rotarians, guests and friends of Rotary. Today marks my last day in office as the President of our club, Rotary Club of Onigbongbo. It is a great honour and privilege to serve our great club for the past 12 months. What has a beginning will definitely have an end. I give God the glory for all the achievements of our club during 2019-2020 Rotary Connect Year. Our theme for the 2019-2020 Rotary year is “Rotary Connect The World”. This theme inspired me because you must make impact through service to humanity and connect.
Before I continue with my address, I humbly request that we observe a minute silence in honour of Late Mrs Olubunmi Felicia Lawal wife of Rotarian Adeyemi Lawal. May her gentle soul rest in peace.
We started the first half of the year on a high tempo, hoping to maintain the heat during the second half of 2019-2020 Rotary year. We are planning to attend our Club Retreat, District Training Assembly, District Conference and the Rotary International Convention. Alas the COVID-19 pandemic struck the world and the world suddenly came to a stand still. To God be the glory we were able to achieve our set goals.
DISTRICT GOVERNOR’S VISIT.
As part of the statutory obligation to the club, is the District Governor’s visit. The DG and his team visited our club on the 22nd August, 2019. He paid a courtesy call to the Regent of Onigbongbo Kingdom, High Chief Tajudeen Ajao Irawo in company of the President and members of Rotary Club of Onigbongbo after which donations of items were made to Onigbongbo Community Primary Health Center.
He thereafter held a meeting with the President and members of the board.
WEST AFRICA PROJECT FAIR 2019.
Our club participated in the 2019 West Africa Project Fair that took place in Monrovia, Liberia. Our projects were well displayed and we were able to participate in the global grant eLearning for schools projects.
ROTARY YOUTH LEADERSHIP AWARDS (RYLA).
Our club sponsored four (4) participants to the 2019 Rotary Youth Leadership Award at the Sea School, Apapa, Lagos.
Our club was able to achieve our set goals with or without COVID-19.
Various projects were executed in the following Rotary areas of focus and completed:
- Basic Education & Literacy.
- Disease Prevention & Treatment.
- Maternal and Child Health.
- Economic and Community Development.
- Water and Sanitation.
- Peace & Conflict Prevention/Resolution.
Our mission during the 2019-2020 Rotary year was to have meaningful impact on our community, Onigbongbo and it environs. We were able to achieve this vision through the following projects:
- Screening of members of Onigbongbo Community for Hepatitis B & C.
- Donation of various items to Onigbongbo Community Primary Health Center.
- Vision Project – Eye Screening and donation of eye glasses.
- Rotary Family Health Days.
- Training on Soap Making.
- Micro Credit Empowerment Scheme. This scheme was launched with One Million Naira (N1000000.00).
- Donation of Ultra Modern Chemistry Laboratory to Immaculate Heart Senior High School at a cost of Five Million Naira (N5000000.00) through support from our partners and District grant.
- Donation of various Text Books to Immaculate Heart Junior High School.
- Christmas celebration at Federal Nuero psychiatric hospital, Yaba and donation of ceiling fans.
- Visit to Red Cross Orphanage home and donations of various items and cash to the organisation.
- Donation to Rotary Foundation of over $27000.00
- Donation of Health Portal Cabin to Okungbolu Community, Ogun State.
- Donation of ICT eLearning equipment to Wasimi Community Senior High School and training of teachers. (Ongoing project). The eLearning equipment has been installed. The next stage of the project is the training of teachers and students which will take place on the 10th& 13th July 2020.
- Polio plus seminar in which over $14000 contribution was achieved.
- Provisions of Wash Hand Basins at the entrances of Baptist Girls Academy, Obanikoro, Lagos.
- Construction of Primary Health Care Center at Irawo Community. (Ongoing project). The followings were achieved on this project during the 2019-2020 Rotary year:
- Architectural drawings – Courtesy of Rtn Busuyi Adetunji.
- Mechanical & Electrical drawings – Courtesy Oshea projects.
- Structural drawings – Courtesy Rtn Yomi Lawson.
- Bill of quantities – Courtesy Rtn Rasaq Salau.
- Approval for the project obtained from Lagos State Primary Health Care Board.
We are saying thank you to Rtn Dr Tayo Lawal, retired Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Primary Health Care Board for assisting us to get the necessary approval for this project.
LECTURES & SEMINARS.
Lectures and Seminars were organised in the following areas:
- Rotary foundation.
- Basic Education & Literacy.
- Vocational Services.
- Peace & Conflict Prevention/Resolution.
The club organised Rotary foundation dinner, award & recognition night in December, 2019 which was a huge success. Our Rotary Foundation fund is over $27000.00
During the year under review, our club total contributions to Rotary Foundation stood at Twenty Seven Thousand Eight Hundred & Twenty Seven dollars ($27,827.00) which is made up of the following:
- Annual funds. $13,611.00
- Polio plus fund. $14,006.00
- $ 210.00
Our club has Fifteen (15) EREY members, Eight (8) Paul Harris Fellows and Two (2) Major donors during the 2019-2020 Rotary year.
Our club per capital for Rotary Foundation Giving is $592.
Our club chartered four (4) Interact clubs at the following schools:
- Victory High School, Ikeja.
- Immaculate Heart Senior Secondary School, Maryland Schools Complex, Maryland, Lagos.
- Baptist Girls Academy Obanikoro Lagos.
- Immaculate Heart Comprehensive Junior Secondary School, Maryland Schools Complex, Maryland, Lagos.
ROTARY COMMUNITY CORP.
We chartered Rotary Community Corp, Onigbongbo during the 2019-2020 Rotary year.
Six (6) new active members were added to the club and three (3) honorary members. I welcome the new members and pray that God will grant you the enablement to serve humanity. Rotary is good.
The following members celebrated their children’s wedding:
- Rotarian Chief Harry Ladapo
- Rotarian Lanre Wilton Waddel.
We are wishing the couples happy and successful married life.
The following members buried their in-laws:
- Rtn Adebowale Aderotoye.
- Rtn Terrymore Odugbawa.
- Rtn Gbenga Arojo.
May the souls of the departed continue to rest in peace.
The following members gave birth to new babies:
- Rtn Sholakunmi Babarinde.
- Rtn Azeez Alaka.
- Rtn Sola Benson.
May all the new babies have a fullfiling destiny in Jesus name.
All these events were well attended by members.
Our Doyen Rtn Sir Tunde Onakoya celebrated his 70th birthday on the 27th of May, 2020. We thank God for keeping him and His mercies over him. May your service to humanity never be in vain. Wishing you many happy returns in good health sir.
The club website www.rotaryclubofonigbongbo.org.ng was hosted. This project was funded by Rtn Sir Tunde Onakoya. We thank you sir for making this project a dream come true.
SUPPORT TO THE DISTRICT.
Our club supported the District cervical cancer project with Two Hundred & Twenty Thousand Naira (N220,000.00) and DEWEF with Fifty Thousand Naira (N50,000.00).
Our club won the following awards:
- Rotary International Presidential Citation with Platinum Distinction.
- Award of Excellence for the Most Improved Club in District 9110.
- Award of Appreciation Most Outstanding President 2019-2020 Rotary Year.
I wish to appreciate all members of Rotary Club of Onigbongbo and other Rotarians for your supports morally and financially but I will not hesitate to specially thank the District Governor, D9110, Rtn Dr Olajide Akeredolu, PDG Adewale Ogunbadejo, PDG Dehinde Shoga, PDG Kamoru Omotosho, DGN Omotunde Lawson, PAG Ayodele Faroun, Rtn Sir Tunde Onakoya, Rtn Lanre Wilton Waddel, Rtn Gbenga Arojo, Rtn Chief Uzomba Nwaije, Rtn Gbadebo Sangosanya, Rtn Segun George, Rtn Busuyi Adetunji, Rtn Ehi Braimah, Rtn Yomi Lawson, Rtn Rotimi Coker, Rtn Rasaq Salau, Rtn Rasaq Oyetola, Rtn Boevi Lawson, Rtn Tunde Ogunlami, PAG Sunday Gbenjo, Rtn Prof Harry Ladapo, Rtn Associate Prof Rotimi Coker, PAG Bala Yesufu PAG Wole Kukoyi PAG Busola Satuyi and AG Adedoyin Adeyemi for your support in various ways too many to mention.
My United President brother and colleague Rtn Akinwale Odutola of Rotary Club of Gbagada. Thank you for your advice and support. Also to District staff, Mrs Uduak Oladeyo, Helen Ibeka, Rasheed Etiko, Demola Jaiyeola, Elizabeth Edozie. I am saying thank you.
I am thanking my spouse Mrs Toyin Ajayi for her support and understanding. You are indeed a pillar of support. She contributed immensely to my success.
Finally, I am thankful to the following for their overwhelmed support during the 2019-2020 Rotary year: Prof Oyewusi Ibidapo-obe, Prince Patrick Morakinyo Ilo, Prince Adeyanju Olumide Lipede, Arc Dapo Sonola, Dr & Mrs Adeyinka Okuwoga, Engr Tokunbo Shokoya, Dr & Mrs Akinade Ogunbiyi, Mr & Mrs Olajide Babalola, Prof Duro Oni, Prof Supo Jegede, Mr & Mrs Tunji Amole, Mr Seyi Oyetunde, Pastor & Pastor (Mrs) Bayo Okuwobi, Mr & Mrs Tayo Ogungbemile, Mr & Mrs Bola Akingbade, Miss Temitope Ola-Lawal, Mrs Laide Grandvaud, Mr & Mrs Sola Ijitimehin, Engr Femi Omokungbe, Dr & Mrs Abiodun Ojo, Pharm Adewale Fasogbon, Engr & Mrs Tokunbo Shogbesan. The chairman & members of Octagon 90 of University of Lagos, The President & members of Origin Club of Ipele, The chairman & members of The Lyncs Club. God will reward you beyond your imagination. You are jolly good fellow. I am humbled to be associated with you.
To our corporate sponsors: Petrocam Services Limited, Hi Impact Amusement Park & Resort Ltd, Hi Impact TV, Hi Impact Cruise Ltd, International Family Planning Foundation (IFPF) Hospital, Grenville Schools, Shalina, Oshea projects Ltd, Finland Nigeria Limited, Mutual Benefit Group, Total Telecom Solutions Limited, City People. We are saying thank you.
I hereby welcome the Open Opportunity President Rtn Prince Adebowale Aderotoye. The 39th Rotarian President of Rotary Club of Onigbongbo. I am wishing you a successful tenure and God guidance.
Thank you all and God bless.
Rotary is Good.
Rtn James Olajide Ajayi